Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorMorgan, Thomas J
dc.contributor.authorScott, Peter H
dc.contributor.authorAnstey, Christopher M
dc.contributor.authorBowling, Francis G
dc.date.accessioned2020-06-15T03:39:13Z
dc.date.available2020-06-15T03:39:13Z
dc.date.issued2020
dc.identifier.issn1387-1307
dc.identifier.doi10.1007/s10877-020-00532-9
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10072/394634
dc.description.abstractHyperlactatemia is a documented complication of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Lactate responses during DKA treatment have not been studied and were the focus of this investigation. Blood gas and electrolyte data from 25 DKA admissions to ICU were sequenced over 24 h from the first Emergency Department sample. Hyperlactatemia (> 2 mmol/L) was present in 22 of 25 DKA presentations [mean concentration = 3.2 mmol/L]. In 18 time-series (72%), all concentrations normalized in ≤ 2.6 h (aggregate decay t1/2 = 2.29 h). In the remaining 7 (28%), hyperlactatemia persisted > 12 h. These were females (P = 0.04) with relative anemia (hemoglobin concentrations 131 v 155 g/L; P = 0.004) and lower nadir glucose concentrations (5.2 v 8.0 mmol/L, P = 0.003). Their aggregate glucose decay curve commenced higher (42 mmol/L v 29 mmol/L), descending towards a lower asymptote (8 mmol/L v 11 mmol/L). Tonicity decay showed similar disparities. There was equivalent resolution of metabolic acidosis and similar lengths of stay in both groups. Hyperlactatemia is common in DKA. Resolution is often rapid, but high lactates can persist. Females with high glucose concentrations corrected aggressively are more at risk. Limiting initial hyperglycemia correction to ≥ 11 mmol/L may benefit.
dc.description.peerreviewedYes
dc.languageEnglish
dc.language.isoeng
dc.publisherSpringer
dc.relation.ispartofjournalJournal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing
dc.subject.fieldofresearchBiomedical Engineering
dc.subject.fieldofresearchClinical Sciences
dc.subject.fieldofresearchcode0903
dc.subject.fieldofresearchcode1103
dc.subject.keywordsScience & Technology
dc.subject.keywordsLife Sciences & Biomedicine
dc.subject.keywordsAnesthesiology
dc.subject.keywordsDiabetic keto-acidosis
dc.subject.keywordsLactate time series
dc.titleHyperlactatemia in diabetic ketoacidosis is common and can be prolonged: lactate time-series from 25 intensive care admissions
dc.typeJournal article
dc.type.descriptionC1 - Articles
dcterms.bibliographicCitationMorgan, TJ; Scott, PH; Anstey, CM; Bowling, FG, Hyperlactatemia in diabetic ketoacidosis is common and can be prolonged: lactate time-series from 25 intensive care admissions, Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, 2020
dcterms.dateAccepted2020-05-14
dc.date.updated2020-06-15T00:50:33Z
gro.hasfulltextNo Full Text
gro.griffith.authorAnstey, Christopher


Files in this item

FilesSizeFormatView

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • Journal articles
    Contains articles published by Griffith authors in scholarly journals.

Show simple item record