What do police do and where do they do it?

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
File version
Accepted Manuscript (AM)
Author(s)
Wuschke, Kathryn E
Andresen, Martin A
Brantingham, Paul J
Rattenbury, Christopher
Richards, Andrew
Griffith University Author(s)
Primary Supervisor
Other Supervisors
Editor(s)
Date
2018
Size
File type(s)
Location
License
Abstract

Recent research in the economics of policing has been concerned with what the police do and how much time they spend on those activities. Some of this research has highlighted that, based on the number of incidents, “crime” comprises only ∼ 20% of the police workload with much of the remaining 80% addressing public safety concerns. In this article, we deconstruct the nature of police incidents within a suburban city. We show that police expenditures, relative to the entire municipal budget, have been relatively constant over 30 years and that the volume of police activity has also remained relatively constant, although with a slight increasing trend. We show that the most of the decrease in crime can be attributed to population growth in this suburban city and that the places in which the police undertake different activities vary.

Journal Title
International Journal of Police Science & Management
Conference Title
Book Title
Edition
Volume
20
Issue
1
Thesis Type
Degree Program
School
Publisher link
Patent number
Funder(s)
Grant identifier(s)
Rights Statement
Rights Statement
Kathryn E Wuschke et al., What do police do and where do they do it?, International Journal of Police Science and Management 2018, Vol. 20(1) 19–27. Copyright 2018 The Authors. Reprinted by permission of SAGE Publications.
Item Access Status
Note
Access the data
Related item(s)
Subject
Criminology
Policy and administration
Persistent link to this record
Citation
Wuschke, KE; Andresen, MA; Brantingham, PJ; Rattenbury, C; Richards, A, What do police do and where do they do it?, International Journal of Police Science & Management, 2018, 20 (1), pp. 19-27
Collections